Understanding natural gas rates
Guaranteed, regulated, variable ... the jargon associated with natural gas rates can be confusing. There are a variety of rate options available in Alberta's natural gas market today. It is important to understand the details and benefits of each to truly find a rate that is right for you. Click here to start building your energy plan now. Still not sure? No problem, our friendly Customer Care Team will be happy to help you. Give us a call at (780) 665-1107.
Regulated vs. deregulated charges
Did you know that some of the charges you see on your utility bills are regulated by the provincial government and others are deregulated?
Regulated charges are beyond the control of Energy Marketers such as Green Power and will be the same regardless of your natural gas provider.
Market participants like Green Power have control over the deregulated charges. That's where we can often save you money compared to other retailers/energy marketers.
Regulated Rate Option (RRO)
If you haven’t shopped around for the best price for your natural gas, you most likely have the defaulted Regulated Rate Option (RRO). The RRO is approved by the Alberta Utilities Commission (AUC) and is a variable rate that changes every month. Many of Alberta consumers receive natural gas through RRO providers such as Direct Energy and Alta Gas. With the RRO, you cannot be refused energy for reasons such as poor credit.
Green Power can save you money on energy and administration charges
Guaranteed (Price Protected) Rate Plans
- Do you want certainty about your natural gas bill for monthly budgeting?
- Sign-up for a price per gigajoule (GJ) that's guaranteed throughout the term of your agreement.
- Protect your price from any volatility that may occur in Alberta's natural gas market. Remember, it's free to switch your rate at any time.
Variable (Floating) Rate Plans
- Are you ok if your monthly bill fluctuates?
- You will be charged the ever-changing wholesale price plus transaction fee.
- You'll pay market price, which means you benefit from price drops, but you have to be prepared to weather price spikes. Remember, it's free to switch to one of our fixed price protection rates at any time.
$4.50 per site (monthly fixed rate). When invoicing our customers, a natural gas transaction fee is added to the monthly flow-through price.